Sunday, October 10, 2004

Survey: During hard times, what cost-cutting measures do you practice?

Me, I don't go to the movie theaters anymore. Hintayin na lang sa VCD ang palabas.

I eat out less often than I used to. And the last time I bought a book or a magazine was about 2-3 years ago (I can't afford the books and I don't need to buy magazines cuz I can read them online anyways)

I also don't go out as often as I used to. that's how i adjust to the current condition that most filipinos are under right now.

From Mons Romulo-Tantoco:
I remember when Sander and I were preparing for our wedding in 1989 and my parents advised us to keep everything simple because times were hard. That was 15 years ago. Even today I still hear this phrase over and over again. Living in our country where there is so much poverty, it’s just right that we try to keep our celebrations and events simple. It’s not nice to spend too lavishly on parties and things we don’t really need. I always try to keep in mind what my husband once told me: Ask yourself before you buy any item, "Do I really need this or do I just want it?"

We can never really tell what lies ahead, so it’s best to start saving for the rainy days.

Marissa Buenaventura De Venecia, owner of Meet my Feet (children’s shoes): Dine in more than dining out, watch DVDs instead of going to the movie theaters, get all supplies in a big grocery instead of a convenient store. Take less vacations.

Maritoni Rufino Tordesillas, ballerina, actress and ballet director: During hard times I cut back on luxury things. I find that spending a lot of money on expensive brand names is inappropriate when a big part of the population cannot eat a decent meal. I indulge instead on non-material items such as hugs and kisses from my family, tucking my 6-year-old son into bed with a book and savoring the smiles and coos of my 3-month-old daughter. I patronize our local stores such as Bayo, Kamiseta, Tyler and Fino. Reuse, reduce and recycle is my motto. I reuse bath and laundry water for the plants, egg shells as soil fertilizer, and pass on to others the things I have not used in a year. Instead of always buying new toys for my son, I let him play with old shoeboxes, empty toilet paper rolls and strings. He gets just as much satisfaction from them and I see his imagination at work. I also had Patrice Ramos Diaz re-work my mom’s clothes from the ‘70s into beautiful new outfits for me. I like to take the MRT instead of sitting in traffic along EDSA. I walk and carpool when I can but the best cost-cutting tip for me right now is breastfeeding. Not only does postpartum weight come off but it also is the best immunity against sickness and spending on medicine and baby formula.

Lorna Silverio, congresswoman, Bulacan 3rd district : In hard times, simplify life, go back to the basics. Work doubly hard and pray hard that our economy gets better.

Ivar Aseron, fashion designer: I used to overspend on fabrics and materials because I tend to hoard them. I have bought stuff in the past just because I liked them and not because I actually needed them for clothes I was making. Now whenever I go out purchasing stuff I bring a list with me and I make sure that I buy only the exact amount of fabric I need.

Peewee Reyes, fashion associate, Meg Magazine: I really try to budget my money. I steer away from the malls because they are a big temptation.

RJ Ledesma, real estate developer, TV host: When I was in graduate school in the States, I was tuition fee-spending and a non-income earner, this was during a time when the country was still reeling from the specter of the Asian currency crisis. During those trying times, I didn’t want to be a financial strain on my family, so I learned to survive through free student lunches, self-deprecation and penny-pinching. I learned to give up what was inconsequential.

Here are my own cast-cutting tips: Cut down on eating out, instead learn to savor the different varieties of instant pancit canton out there. Cut down on the back and forth text repartee and learn to flirt the old fashioned way. Cut down on legally ambiguous means to entertain yourself, Friendster, men’s magazines and spending hundreds of pesos on beer while ogling girls half your age at a swanky bar. Try not to date around and stick to one woman within the value meal price range. Lastly, try to improve your health by being alcohol-free, caffeine-free and nicotine-free.

My yoga teacher has given me the best cost cutting tip (albeit in a Socratic fashion): What do you really need to truly live?

Aside from my yoga mat and clean underwear, I think you can learn to cut down on everything else, but not your sense of humor.

Annie Ringor, managing director, Bridges.com: I recall what my father always says: Live within your budget. Do not buy things you do not need. Eating at home can be as much fun as going out to eat and most importantly, avoid the malls. Of course, these are easier said than done.

GP Reyes, creative director, GPR Advertising, Events and Public Relations : Prices of everything around us continue to skyrocket, and the chances of the hard times letting up any time soon seem a bit doubtful. Belt tightening is one way to cope with hard times. I’ve learned to replace my nights out with quiet nights at home reading a good book or watching a home movie. I didn’t realize how much I was spending on nights out until I sat down and made some computations. However, another way to deal with these hard times is to be resourceful: find ways to work harder, search for alternative sources of income, take on a second job, sell hand painted T-shirts, teach badminton after work, or anything else you can can. Be creative and work hard and you’ll outlast the storm.

No comments: