Sunday, September 30, 2007

John McCain: Expel Burma from ASEAN

(via Instapundit) I completely agree with this one from my man, John McCain, during a conference call with bloggers:

Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona), in today’s bloggers’ call, asked for Burma to be expelled from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). “We should isolate Burma even further,” he said, while calling for an end to the present policy of inclusion in ASEAN since it clearly has failed. “And I refuse to call Burma Myanmar.”

The senator, who spent six years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, expressed his deep admiration for Burmese dissident and 1991 Nobel Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.

“I only have one photo of anyone, apart from my family, in my office. She is a woman I greatly admire, particularly for the sacrifices she has made for her country.” Sen. McCain talked about how the military regime did not allow Ms. Suu Kyi to visit her husband (who at the time was dying of cancer) in England because she wouldn’t have been allowed to return to Burma.

“China should also make a stand for human rights,” stated McCain, while calling for the junta’s censure and condemnation by the international community.

No comments: