UPDATE: News Blackouts and Media Embargoes
It's more common than one thinks. In fact, it is gov't policy when it comes to "live" cases of kidnapping
Eniwey, ito Sabi ni MLQ3:
1. Coming at the heels of the Peninsula Caper, the embargo will inspire the network’s critics to reassert their resentments and antipathy against journalists.
2. Having asked for a favor, ABS-CBN now owes the other networks and media outfits. Not a good situation, pragmatically to say the least.
3. The embargo as I said above, is only acceptable if it is taken, industry-wide, as laying down a precedent for all future coverage of all future kidnappings. Otherwise, it will simply reinforce the contempt of the network’s critics.
The precedent has already been set by the media, in cooperation with this administration, when it comes to "unsolved" kidnapping case.
Manila, September 17, 2002 (STAR) By Christina Mendez and Eva De Leon - The Arroyo administration admitted yesterday that a fresh wave of kidnappings last week has set back the government’s campaign against organized crime.
Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye made the admission as President Arroyo appealed to journalists anew to impose a news blackout on unsolved kidnapping cases to avoid compromising ongoing police operations and endangering the victims’ lives.
But at that time, many thought the move had less to do with concern for the safety of the victims and more of a "damage control" PR move by the government to put a lid on the negative news on the front pages due to the increase in kidnapping cases against the Chinese on an almost weekly basis after January 2001.
More from the PDI:
Macapagal seeks news blackout on kidnapping
Posted: 11:57 PM (Manila Time) | Sep.. 13, 2002
By Alcuin Papa and Juliet Javellana and Carla P. Gomez
Inquirer News Service
Speaking by phone, President Macapagal-Arroyo said she was “meeting with a major (TV) network” later in the evening to air her request to observe media silence.
She noted that the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas, the industry association, had signed a memorandum of agreement “with anti-crime NGOs (nongovernment organizations), the Teresita Ang Sees of the world,” not to report live cases.
Read this too (June 1, 2003)
‘Kill’ live kidnap
cases, cops ask
Posted: 0:39 AM (Manila Time) | Jun. 01, 2003
By TJ Burgonio
Inquirer News Service
OFFICIALS of the Philippine National Police and anti-crime groups Saturday appealed anew to the media to refrain from reporting on “live kidnapping cases” to ensure the safety of the victims.
In newspaper parlance, to “kill” a story is to have it not see print.