Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lito Banayo backs out of Manila Vice Mayor race

Sayang si Lito, he would have won over Don Bagatsing if he only stuck around. Here's Lito Banayo's column:

Last Thursday, a later privately-commissioned survey was shown to me. The field research was very, very recent – March 15 to 20. But for the now increased numbers and less undecided voters, Miranda’s earlier advice was correct. Lim had to narrow down the competition, and Ali Atienza was gaining by the multiplicity of candidates. For my part, my improvement from virtual unknown was quite fast, but there was too much ground to cover, and time was not on my side.

On Friday, I offered to withdraw as vice-mayoralty candidate in favor of last-term congressman Joey Hizon, who was himself seeking the mayoralty post. The offer was intimated to close political associates of Hizon, as well as to President Estrada and Senator Lim.

On Saturday evening, Senator Lim informed me that there were snags in his talks with the political associate of Rep. Hizon, and he had instead chosen Marissa Papa, a barangay chair and vice-president of Manila’s barangay league, as his running mate.

On Sunday morning, Lim had announced his choice, and I for my part had informed those in media, including Malaya’s Gerard Naval, that I had withdrawn my bid for the vice-mayoralty post. Thus ended my first serious electoral quest.

And he said he's also taking time off too from writing a column for Malaya.

1 comment:

Prince Heinell said...

Ngek, sayang naman yung mga posters nya.

Grabe, pati pala anak ni Jim Lopez, tatakbo na rin as councilor. Wala na bang iba?

Dami nilang tatakbong mayor, malamang manalo si Ali nyan.

Arbet