Friday, March 10, 2006

Quezon got me to read the Austero posts and...

mlq3 got me to read the austero posts and here’s my nitpick comment.

ito ang sinabi ni Austero after the media crackdown:

Because quite frankly, we are prepared to lose our freedoms and our rights just to move this country forward. You may think that is not correct, you can tell me all the dire warnings about the evils of authoritarian rule, but quite frankly all we see is your pathetic efforts to prop up your cause. You tell me that you are simply protecting my freedoms and my rights, but who told you to do that? I assure you that when I feel that my rights and my freedoms are at a peril, I will stand up and fight for them myself.

I'm glad he's willing to defend his freedom and rights if threatened. Eh papaano naman kung yung freedom (of speech) at rights ng iba o ng opposition ang na threaten, Bong? Will you defend their rights too?

Sabi rin niya:
"We are prepared to lose our freedoms and our rights just to move this country forward."

What he really meant was: We are prepared to see Arroyo critics lose their freedoms and rights just "to move the country forward."

In another post that MLQ3 linked to, Austero wrote:

If you disagree with me, by all means disagree. But you can not tell me to shut up. You can not tell me that I have no right to speak up about these things.

Heh.

And isn't that what the Arroyo admin is trying to do to it's critics in the media?

I agree with kuya MLQ3:

All those carping against the opposition and in favor of the present dispensation, display the eminently undemocratic notion that the present regime will last forever. Democracy is premised on the understanding that today’s self-satisfied majority will be tomorrow’s minority howling in the wilderness. That is why democracy is as much about respecting the minority as it is about the rights of the majority. Every proposal -Charter change, support for the President, etc.- assumes the side that will stay in power is the President’s side. Suppose tomorrow or in 2007 or even 2010 the other side won? Where would today’s majority turned minority be, with all the laws and policies it’s presently carrying out and establishing as precedents?

No comments: